Wednesday 11 September 2013

yho49 - compound


The forty-ninth edition of YHO begins by being preoccupied by the remarkable 1983 recording Noir et Blanc by Zazou/Bikaye/CY1, which is sort of the sound of young Zaire meets Suicide at the grassroots of dub.  It then launches into an aural adventure that takes in many, many things, including:

·         Papa Wemba and Kanda Bongo Man
·         Barney Wilen and Caroline De Bendern
·         Don Cherry and Jacques Thollot
·         Lizzy Mercier Descloux and Brion Gysin
·         Elli Medeiros and Ramuntcho Matta
·         Samia Farah and Zap Mama
·         Aksak Maboul and The Honeymoon Killers
·         Catherine Jauniaux and Cold Storage
·         ZNR and Joseph Racaille


3 comments:

  1. Fabulous reading! the Noir et Blanc album was a late night party favorite on my side a good way into 1984 and this fanzine inspires me to go back to the shelves for another listen. Little did I know along the way the Zazou story could be tangled up with Don Cherry's excellent Home boy, and other favorites, plus a load of albums I never knew of. The French-Belgian connection. Great!

    ReplyDelete
  2. This is a fantastic read - I came to it via blissblog. Covers some of my favourite records incl Moshi, Noir et Blanc and the first Aksak Maboul and more importantly has put me on to new stuff! Good to see a mention of Pierre Barouh - his Viking Bank LP was a great discovery for me. All I need to do now is go to evening classes.

    Cheers

    Ed

    ReplyDelete